Facebook Shop is a way to build your ecommerce store directly into Facebook.
Launched in 2020, it gives you multiple tools for selling products online—from WhatsApp integration to AR technology that lets you virtually “try on” products to social media advertising tools.
As Australia’s #1 marketing agency, we’ve worked with dozens of clients using the eCommerce add-on. In this guide, we’ll give you step-by-step instructions for using Facebook shops in Australia – as well as tips, examples, and answers to frequent questions.
What is a Facebook Shop?
Facebook Shop is an online storefront built into Meta’s assets (like Instagram and Facebook).
Almost 74% of consumers already get shopping ideas from Facebook, Instagram, Messenger or WhatsApp. They see content or ads on their feeds, then go shopping elsewhere for the products they see (or similar).
But with Facebook Shop, they can shop right there without ever leaving the platform.
Do Facebook Shops Work in Australia?
Yes! Australia is eligible as a supported market for both Instagram and Facebook Shops.
However, before you can set up your Shop, you’ll have to make sure you meet a few minimum eligibility requirements:
- Follow Facebook guidelines, policies, and best practices
- Accurately represent your business
- Be trustworthy and honest — don’t misrepresent your products
As long as you stick to the above, you should remain eligible to use Facebook Shops. So, how do you get one up and running?
Preparing your business for Facebook Shop
Before you log on Facebook and create a Shop, make sure your business is ready to make the transition.
Start with your brand’s Facebook Page and make sure it’s all in top shape. Do you have a branded, high-quality profile picture and banner image? Do you have updated and accurate info about your business—such as location, website, hours, etc.?
Beyond the basics, do you actively post content, manage comments, message customers, and effectively use CTAs?
If you want to run a successful shop on Facebook, you should start by optimising your page and growing engagement with your brand. Once you can answer, “yes” to the above questions, you’re ready for the next step.
Shops are filled with products, so make sure yours are ready to sell. Double check that you’re ready to launch by verifying inventory or dropshipping setup, uploading quality mockups and product images, and organising your products into intuitive collections.
How to set up your Facebook Shop: step-by-step
1. Start by going to the Facebook commerce manager.
2. Choose a checkout method. You can select from directing your customers to check out through Messenger or through an external website.
3. Link to your brand’s Facebook Page or create a new one.
4. Add shipping destinations.
5. Preview your Shop and confirm setup.
How to customise your Facebook Shop
Facebook makes it super simple to customise the layout, style, and content of your Shop by using the built-in Commerce Manager (formerly Shop Builder).
1. From the Shops tab, select which Shop you want to customise and click Edit shop.
2. You can choose whether to turn Optimise layout on or off. If you turn it on, Facebook will personalise your Shop’s homepage and featured products and collections to each visitor, so they will be more likely to respond. If turned off, your homepage will appear the same to every user.
3. Add, remove, and customise Collections, Products, and Product launches. Here you can play around with layout by dragging and reordering sections, choosing cover images, and deciding which items to feature prominently on your page.
4. Decide whether to create an offer and display a promotion banner across the top of your Shop’s page.
5. Adjust your Shop’s visibility and inventory settings. You can choose to manually manage your inventory, or have all products display automatically.
6. Preview what your Shop looks like on Facebook and Instagram (if applicable) in both dark and light modes.
Benefits of using Facebook Shop
Bringing your store to the Facebook platform comes with several benefits for your business:
- Visibility — through pages, ads, and Marketplace. Your Shop will show up in Suggestions and Search, you can display product listings in ads and in other Facebook content, and you can list Shop items on Marketplace for even more exposure.
- Engagement — through posts, comments, shares, and messaging. By using Facebook Shop, you can point all your Facebook impressions—from ads, content, etc.—to your storefront.
- Simplicity — by offering direct purchases through Facebook and unlimited products and collections, you can create content, engage with your audience, run ads, and make sales all in the same place. No need for complex automations and dozens of integrations. Just log on Facebook and start selling.
- Integration — Connect with Instagram and other ecommerce platforms like Shopify and BigCommerce. Your Shop will be compatible across the Metaverse and Facebook platform.
Facebook Shops is an excellent way for brands and businesses to bring their online presence into one central location. It offers a simple interface for creating and managing your own storefront, and it integrates seamlessly with other ecommerce platforms.
Want help marketing your Facebook Shop?
As Australia’s #1 marketing agency, Megaphone can help your brand achieve the success you deserve. explore their resources and get in touch today to see how partnering with them can benefit your business.
Frequently asked questions
1. What is the difference between Facebook Shops and Facebook Page Shops?
Facebook Page Shop was the social media platform’s former ecommerce option, but users should transition to Shop, as Page Shops are no longer offered or supported.
2. Is Facebook Shop free to use?
Yes, you can create and run a Facebook Shop for free. The only paid feature is Facebook ads, which you can read more about in our guide.
3. Does Facebook Shop support Shopify?
Yes, Facebook Shop supports Shopify integrations, as well as integrations with BigCommerce, WooCommerce, Wix, and more.
You can easily import your existing product catalogues and collections so you don’t have to start over from scratch.
4. What is the difference between Facebook Shops and Marketplace?
Marketplace is a space for Facebook users to list items for sale, similar to Craigslist and apps like OfferUp. Shops, on the other hand, are for only businesses and brands.
If you have a Shop set up, you can cross-post your products on Marketplace as well, to increase exposure and drive more people to your store.
5. What countries is Facebook Shop available in?
Facebook Shop is widely available in a number of countries. If you want to verify that your country is eligible, you can check out this full list of supported countries.
6. How do I search for a Facebook Shop?
It’s easy to naturally come across products and Shops in content and ads on Facebook. But you can also find Shops and products listed on Marketplace, and if you have a specific brand in mind, you can search for their page using the regular Facebook search.